Allergy and strand test
How do I perform a skin allergy test?
It’s quite simple! Just follow these steps at least 48 hours before applying your color. Remember, this test is a precaution and an allergic reaction may still occur when you color. Please consult a doctor if you have any doubts.
- Unscrew the bottles in the box and mix a small amount of tint (labeled 1) and developer (labeled 2) into a plastic bowl
- Tightly recap tube #1 and bottle #2
- Using a cotton swab, apply a small amount of mixture to the bend of your elbow (approximately 1cm)
- Leave uncovered for 45 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water
- Lightly pat skin dry with a towel and leave undisturbed for 48 hours
- After 48 hours, look for signs of rash, redness, swelling, burning or itching
If you notice any of these signs, do not use the product and call your doctor. Additionally, if irritation occurs within the first 45 minutes of applying to your elbow, rinse immediately.
How do I perform a strand test?
Strand tests are helpful because they tell you exactly how many minutes you need to process your color to achieve your desired results…
- Snip off a ½ centimeter thick strand of hair from your roots in a discreet area (not along the part, hairline or temples!)
- Tape the strand to a sheet of paper and apply your color mixture remaining from the allergy test
Start timing. After 35 minutes, check the strand. If the root end is not the color you want, return it to the mixture and leave color on for additional 5 or 10 minutes. Until you get the wanted result, but never exceed 50 minutes.