Since hair is our thing, we’ve prepared a list of hilarious and random facts about it. Read, explore, and enjoy!
1. About 95% of the total skin area is covered in hair. Who knew you were so, well, hairy.
2.The average head contains over 100,000 hair follicles.
3. Hair in the drain? Have no fear! We naturally lose 50-100 hairs a day.
4. Each piece of hair is made up of the cuticle, the cortex, and the medulla.
5. Beware the juice cleanse! Crash dieting can cause temporary hair loss.
6. For it to be apparent that you’re balding, you would have to lose 50% of your hair.
7. A single strand of hair can support up to 6.5 pounds of weight. That means a whole head of hair can support up to 2 tons!
8. Growing your hair out? For the average person, it will take about 7 years to grow your hair to your waist and 3 years to grow it to your shoulders.
9. The major cause of dandruff is a fungus called Malassezia globosa, which pushes dead skin cells to the surface quicker than normal.
10.In the 16th century, a doctor claimed applying a blend of boiled slugs, olive oil, honey saffron, soap and cumin on the scalp could restore hair.
11. If a man never shaved his beard, it would grow to over 30 feet in a lifetime.
12. Believe it or not, humans have the same amount of hair follicles per square inch as a chimpanzee!
13. Less than 4% of the world’s population has natural red hair.
14. Research shows that hair becomes drier with age.
15. Want your hair to get longer quicker? The anticipation of sex makes the hair grow faster.
16. Don’t believe #15? Men’s hair grows faster than women’s. Believe us now?
17. Someone purchased a lock of Elvis’ hair at an auction for $15,000.
18. The colour of hair depends on how much melanin each strand has. Or which hair dye you use!
19. When you add up how much each hair on your head grows over a year’s time, you get 10 miles worth of hair!
20. In 1950, about 7% of American women dyed their hair. Today, 60% of American women dye their hair.